Monday, August 2, 2010

Beans

This toddler food turned into toddler food as my mistake.  My husband started soaking the beans overnight to make baked beans the following day for our family that came up to visit for a bbq.  They have to boil for an 1/2 hour to an hour (give or take) then get bbq'ized and baked.  I was put in charge of watching the beans while he mowed the grass.  I watched them all right, I watched them get really soft and start to break open (thus becoming to soft to then bake and make into baked beans).  Instead of wasting an entire batch of beans, we came up with a bean recipe that Jake (and we) loved as a side dish. My husband and I ate them as a side dish to sandwich night, and Jake ate them (scrap that, devoured them) when I mixed in some fresh corn from the cob that I had made the night before.

We use Rancho Gordo yellow eyed beans.  All the beans that we've ordered from these folks have been delicious!
www.ranchogordo.com

Ingredients 
1 lb. beans
3 tablespoon table salt (or 6 tablespoons if using Kosher salt) + pinch for seasoning
2 sprigs of thyme
1 tablespoon oregano (dried)
1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped into quarters
1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
Olive oil 

Directions
1. Soak beans overnight with 4 quarts of water and 3 tablespoon of table salt. Soak at least 8 hours but no longer than 12 hours.
2. Rinse beans thoroughly and place in pot with enough water to cover by an inch.  Add thyme, oregano, black pepper, onion and garlic.
3. Bring to a gentle simmer and simmer until tender, approx. 45 minutes to an hour.
4. When beans are done cooking, remove thyme, onion and garlic, discard.
5. Drain beans and toss with drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt.

I found the best way to save them as toddler food to dish them in a muffin tin, freeze and when they are frozen, pop out each muffin tin into a freezer bag for single serving portions.  To reheat, put in a microwave safe bowl, cover with a wet paper towel, and microwave on high, approximately 45 seconds - 1 minute. 


Mix with your child's favorite diced veggies or a good side dish, or even main course for lunch or dinner.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited you started writing all this down! I will be sure to use it in a year!! :) Thanks! The pictures of Jake are too cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails