Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Apples

Jake LOVES apples, but we've hit the independence phase where he doesn't want to be fed purees, so applesauce is out of the picture.  We have 9 teeth total so far, but none that will allow Jake to bit into a crunchy crisp apple, so I'm constantely looking for soft, toddler friendly foods.  I tried steaming some apples for him to get them soft and easy to eat ... lets just say my first batch is almost gone so its time to already make some more.  I batch freeze these and keep them in a ziploc bag that allows me to just pull out exactly how many I need for lunch, dinner or snack time. 

I highly highly recommend a apple peeler, it will become your best friend and is a staple item if you are making your own baby food.  My peeler slices and cores the apples so it makes for a quick chop to make them into bite sized pieces.  Back To Basics Apple And Potato Peeler

For this batch, I used a dozen golden delicious apples.

You just place each apple on the peeler ...

Crank the handle, and voila ...


Perfectly peeled, cored and sliced apples.  All you'll have to do it slice then in half, then cut individual pieces from that.  Super east, and quick too!

Place all of the cut pieces in a steamer basket with about an inch of water in a large pot, cover and steam for approximately 5 - 10 minutes until you have reached desired texture.  Start your cooking time once you have started to steam. 

I will then Pam a baking sheet, place the apple pieces on the baking sheet and freeze for a minimum of 4 hours (up to 24 hours).

Once frozen, using a spatula remove the apples, place in a ziploc freezer bag and keep in your freezer for up to 3 months (if they last that long!).  For an added treat, once defrosted (place in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 30 seconds - 1 minute) I sprinkle cinnamon and sugar, which Jake loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails