Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fig & Cream Cheese Sandwich

One of my favorite toddler food blogs weelicious posted a recipe of a fig and goat cheese sandwich.  I thought the idea was interesting and have been wanting to try with with Jake.  After finally finding ripe figs at Whole Foods tonight, I decided to whip it up.  I also tried to go off of my memory to buy all the ingredients, but bought cream cheese instead of goat cheese .... which really wasn't an issue since it was still quite yummy and hungry hungry Jacob seemed to like it just fine.

Ingredients
3 tablespoon Fig Puree (see below for recipe)
1 tablespoon cream cheese
2 slices whole wheat bread (I used Jason's famous Light Whole Wheat)

1. Wash, steam and place figs in food processor.  Puree until smooth.



2. Spread one slice of bread with fig puree and spread other slice of bread with cream cheese (or you can use goat cheese as the original recipe calls for).






While whipping up the fig puree took all of 5 minutes to do, hungry hungry Jacob got mighty hungry (and very quiet too, so I knew he was up to no good!), I turned around to find this:



He craftily got down the Cheerios box and helped himself to a snack before dinner.  He's a smart one!

And Jake did LOVE the sandwich ....

Accompanying the sandwich was a side of cheddar cheese and pea puree.  Pea puree you ask? Yes.  Jacob has turned his nose up to anything green.  ANYTHING green.  He will shutter in disgust if a whole pea so much touches his plate (and believe me, I try at almost every meal to offer him something green).  Jacob however did love peas when he was eating purees and I put a tablespoon or so of his baby cereal in it (I used Organic Happy Bellies cereal for him).  So I've figured why not just revert back to purees, but just left Jake feed them to himself? It worked!! I really worked!! Jake's been shoveling spoonfuls of pureed peas with cereal into his mouth as fast as possible  I'm happy because he finally eats something green.  I don't care if I have to send him pureed peas when he's a freshman in college just to get him to eat his veggies, believe me, I'll do it.


And while I'm at it posting pictures .... you have to check out Jakes new shoes.  Whomever said dressing a little boy isn't as fun as a little girl if crazy.  Look at these things, I just love them!


One last picture for the night .... this is how much Jake loves pureed peas .... he tries to lick them out of the container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails